Wednesday, May 1, 2013

전대감댁 Jeon Daekam Daek

 

Today I met one of the staff members from KOCIS, the makers of The Korea Blog for lunch. She brought me to a really cute restaurant on the Sejong Village Food Culture Street (세종마을 음식문화 거리) near Gyeongbukgung Station. 

 
전대감댁 is the name of the restaurant 전 (Jeon) is a family name, 대감 (Daekam) a word meaning a high ranking official from ancient times and 댁 (deak) is the honorific form of house (집). So, this could be called Mr. Jeon's House in English.


The food was very nice and light. I didn't have that heavy uncomfortable feeling in my stomach I often have after eating a typical Korean restaurant meal. We just ordered two dishes, 'today's special' which was a beef and radish soup and a grilled pork dish with cabbage. It was just the right amount of food for two people.



However, the thing I liked most here was the ambiance. Water fountains gurgling, fish swimming around lilypads and even an eating area open to the sky above (I guess it was covered by glass).  Food and drinks served on really beautiful ceramic plates, bowls and cups.


If you happen to be in the area,  be sure to stop by. Great for lunch, however, it seems to be most popular in the evening for its 전 or Korean pancakes.



전대감댁/ Jeon Daekam Daek
070-4202-5170
서울 종로구 체부동 184
Chebudong 184, Jongno-gu, Seoul

No comments:

Post a Comment