Saturday, August 18, 2012

12 hours in Pittsburgh

I stopped by Pittsburgh for one night since there was no direct Megabus from DC to Cleveland. And I'm so glad I did. I stayed with two girls I found on Couchsurfing and they gave me a memorable little taste for life in Pittsburgh. After a pleasant chat with one host, who grew up in Japan and lived in China and taught English we realized that we had a lot in common. When her roommate came home they decided to take me up to Mt. Washington, a small hill just across the river from the downtown where many restaurants have balconies looking over the city.

 View of the city at dusk

While we had to wait a while to get a table on the patio, the wait was worth it. We had a beautiful view of the city, with a nice cool breeze and a show of a lightning storm in the distance which we were able to enjoy without being rained upon.

 View of Pittsburgh by night

After that we decided to check out "Banjo Night" at the Elks club. Basically, some members of the Elks club formed a band made up of about 20-30 banjos. The turn-out for this weekly event was huge. While the majority of guests belonged to the 80+ age range, there were also a number of young folks in their 20's and 30's who came out to hear this classic American music.


Unfortunately, I had to wake up at 5:30am to catch the bus downtown to catch my bus to Cleveland at 7:00 am. It was a fantastic 12 hours and I hope I can meet my new friends again, either in Pittsburgh or somewhere else on this Earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment