Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Lunch at Gyongbokgung Restaurant in Insadong

 
   At the end of every month in our academy, we are allowed to go out with our students to celebrate the end of the session. Last night was Chicken and Beer (치맥) with one class, and this morning was Holly's Coffee for breakfast with another class. But, I think lunch today was the be all end all of end of session outings. One gentleman in my level 5 class has a tradition of bringing the whole class out to eat at Gyeongbokgung Restaurant in Insadong to celebrate the last class of every month. Don't let the name of the restaurant fool you, it's not in Gyeongbokgung Palace, but it is a high-class restaurant not far from the palace. It's a great place if you're in the mood for something a little special! We ordered just the basic option, a 24,000 won per person galbi lunch set, but for the quality of the beef and the amount of side dishes it was more than worth the price. Reservations are recommended here as every party is seated in their own private room. Actually, the price of our meal was incredibly low considering the ambiance of the restaurant. Most meals offered are a bit higher, but considering all that came with our basic set, I can't imagine what would come with one of the 40-70,000 won sets!


The meal started with some basic dishes. 물김치 (water kimchi) and a seaweed porridge. Both good, but not quite what I was craving...


After a little while later the good stuff started coming out. Sashimi, and the good banchan (side dishes). 



Doengjang soaked cabbage, garlic and mushrooms and thinly sliced radish folded with sesame leaves, plus lots of salad type things not pictured here.


Though it wasn't on the set menu, we were brought out a special 빈대떡 bindaeddok because we had to wait a little longer than we expected for our food. We were so busy enjoying the ambiance and the starters, we hardly noticed that our food was taking too long!


Then of course was the main meal. 양념갈비, marinated beef galbi was put on the grill. The wait staff attentively grilled our galbi to perfection and we enjoyed the most succulent galbi I've ever had the fortune to taste.


Just because we finished the galbi didn't mean the meal was finished. Then they served up doengjang jjigae with rice and the meal was finally finished off with a cup of refreshingly sweet bokbunja juice.



I feel like I've been really spoiled this month with all my great students and fun end of semester parties. I wonder if next months will ever live up to this one?


Jongno-gu Gwanhun dong 198-42
Gwanhun Building B1
02-722-7713

5 comments:

  1. Glad you are having such a nice time @ your new job :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaah!! All that delicious korean bbq! Although i love kalbi, samgyupsal will always be my ultimate favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. RELIABLE BUSINESS/HOME/COMPANY/PROJECT/PERSONAL LOAN? AFFORDABLE LOAN IS HERE FOR YOU TODAY Email profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    We are financial consultants providing reliable loans to individuals and funding for business, home and projects start up. Are you tired of seeking loans or are you in any financial mess. Do you have a low credit score, and you will find it difficult to get loans from banks and other financial institutions? then worry no more for we are the solution to your financial misfortune. we offer all types of loan ranging from $5,000.00 to $2,000,000.00USD with a low interest rate of 2% and loan duration of 1 to 33 years to pay back the loan secure and unsecured. Are you losing sleep at nights worrying how to get a Legit Loan Lender? Contact us via Email: profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    Do you have a bad credit? Do you need money to pay bills? Do you need loan to buy, refinance or renovate your home? Is it necessary to start a new business? Do you have an unfinished project due to poor funding? Do you need money to invest in any specialty that will benefit you? MRS. DOROTHY LOAN INVESTMENTS aims is to provide excellent professional financial services which include the followings

    * Personal loans * Business loans
    * Home loans * Farm Loans
    * Education loans * Debt consolidation loans
    * Truck Loans * Car Loans
    * Hotels Loans * Refinancing Loans
    * Venture capital and many more.

    We are certified, reliable, financially powerful, fast and dynamic, with no credit check and offers a 100% guarantee loans and finances THANKS

    Yours Faithfully
    Prof. Dorothy Pilkenton Jean
    profdorothyinvestments@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello everyone my name is James Clark i am from U.K i'm giving a testimony on how I joined the illuminati brotherhood, I was trying to join this organization for so many years now, I was scammed by fake agent in south Africa and Nigeria, I was down i could not feed my self and my family anymore and I tried to make money by all means but all in vain, I was afraid to contact any illuminati agent because they have eat my money, one day I came across a post of someone giving a testimony thanking a man called John William for helping him to join the illuminati brotherhood, then I looked at the man's email and the phone number that was written there, I was afraid to contact him because i was scammed a lot of times by scammers who ate my 5000,000 and went away with the money then I was very confused so I decided to contact the person that was given the testimony and i called him and I communicated with him on phone calls before he started telling me his own story about when he wanted to join he told me everything to do, then I made up my mind and called the agent called John William and he told me everything to do and I was initiated, surprisingly I was given my benefit of being a new member of the great illuminati brotherhood I was so happy, for those of you trying to join this organization this is your opportunity for you to join CONTACT MR John William call (+2348119132137) or WhatsApp him (+2348119132137) or Email johndavid2135@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to share with you my testimony of how I joined this great organization of the new world order, Really I was so poor in my life that I was almost close to death, i tried many times to join but all was in vain, whereupon I was facing fake people who were claiming to be agents . They ate my money without helping me out there. I totally lost hope. But because i was interested and focused on my dream, I continued trying there I meet another person who told me he will help me out still i didn't trust him at all because of the first pain i passed through,he still also asked me to send him money there i got scared but with time he sent me his membership id card,trust in him little and i accepted to send him money, but what amazed me is that immediately after sending him money for initiation items, i got initiated within 2hour onlines and i receive my $1,000,000 directly to my account there i trusted him more and he is the only agent i trust because he helped me seriously. So my friend if you want to join contact him through whatsapp + 2348180828544

    ReplyDelete