Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Saturday Night Makkoli Adventures

Our first stop for the night was our favorite makkoli place near Sookmyung Women's University Station. I got my usual sal makkoli, but some friends ordered a new menu item, Fruit Makkoli. I was skeptical, so I didn't order it, but it turned out to be quite tasty. Though, it didn't really taste much like makkoli, more like a smoothie, but anyway, it was a nice tasting makkoli smoothie.


And served in a wine glass no less...

Next stop was a more traditional makkoli house where our makkoli was served in a kettle and poured into bowls, rather than glasses.

And of course we ordered some pajeon to go with it... it wouldn't really be makkoli without some sort of jeon...

Stop three was a tiny little shop run by a hunchbacked ajumma. We've always been tempted by the cheap prices of jeon (Korean-style pancakes) in the window, but we've never venured our way in until this night. As you can see here, we ordered a plate of a little bit of everything, hobakjeon, some kind of meat jeon, hot peppers, and some other unidentifiable things. Anyway, the jeon was good here, but the makkoli on the other hand was completely flat and we didn't stay long.

After that we headed to a new convinience store in our area to drink more makkoli on their nice new patio seating area. The story didn't go so well from there, so I'll leave it at that and with a warning that makkoli is great in relatively small quantities, but can lead to rather unpleasant results in large quantities... just like any alcohol I guess... :-)

Happy drinking...

3 comments:

  1. I mean do we really need to know that a "hunchbacked ajumma" served you? Wouldn't an ajumma have been enough when describing your server. Jeez. Go away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is using the word hunchbacked rude? I don't mean to insult the woman, I merely wanted to describe the situation.

    I don't claim to be a great writer, far from it, but if I were to write a book about my life and wanted to discribe this situation and said something to the effect of, "Then the hunchbacked ajumma hobbled over to take our order." would that be wrong as well?

    Writers need to describe the setting and characters of a story so that the readers can imagine the situation in their heads. If the problem is merely the word, then would hunched over be better, or do you have a better suggestion?

    Maybe hunchedback brings images of Quasimoto from The Hunchback of Notre Dame to mind, but if you live in Korea, you know that there are a lot of women who's spines are permenantly bent over. I'm not certain of the reason for this, but I would guess that perhaps many years of picking rice or farming one reason for the problem.

    It's not an insult, merely an observation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Hunchbacked is a descriptive term, not a derogatory one. It's like saying a 'one-toothed ajumma' served us.

    When I get comments like this, I just delete them ^^

    It's your blog, not a forum for misguided opinions.

    ReplyDelete