Sunday, July 4, 2010

Korean Movie Review: 마더: Mother


Last night, too sick to go out, I decided to watch a DVD I picked up a while ago called Mother. I had meant to see this when it was in theaters last year, but never got around to it. I recall that it was top in the box office for a while.

The movie revolves around the mother of a young man who is a bit slow. The son is accused of a murder and tricked into signing a confession, though he does not recall committing the crime. The mother makes it her personal mission to discover the truth and have her son's name cleared.

I really enjoyed this movie. There were many unexpected plot twists and I thought the ending was surprising, yet perfectly fitting for the movie. I recommend this movie to anyone who enjoys thrillers, or anyone looking for a good taste of Korean culture. I think this is an excellent movie, and a fair representation of small town life in South Korea.


incidentally, I just organized all my movie posts into one category here, if you're interested in reading more about movies I've seen in Korea.

1 comment:

  1. I managed to catch this at the indie theater in my hometown in Minnesota--was so surprised it came! I agree, the plot was perfectly paced and the ending completely earned. I love Bong Joon-ho (The Host is one of my all time favorite movies) and although I haven't seen Memories of a Murder yet, it's definitely on my to-do list.

    ReplyDelete