Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Where oh where should I exchange my money?

Since I'm leaving in a week and a half (*gasp*) I have to decide what to do with my hordes of money. I know I could just transfer it all into my bank account at home, but I will lose money on either end if I do that. I was thinking I might take some of my money (maybe not all, that would be a little much...) to an exchange house in somewhere like itaewon, namdaemun or dongdaemun and exchange it to US dollars. Does anyone have experience in this area? Is this the best way? and if so, do you have somewhere to recommend?

Thanks my loyal blog readers...

7 comments:

  1. i think i just get charged a flat fee when i transfer money though the bank, as opposed to having a percentage taken out when exchanging. but maybe there's a commission that doesn't show up on my statements

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I hear... banks don't give the best exchange rate. I'm looking for the place with the best exchange rate.... wherever that is..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sent a lot of my money home, but also carried a lot with me, exchanged at the bank. I'm not sure if the places that do currency exchange like in Itaewon would give better rates than the bank, would they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, the exchange houses in Itaewon give a much better rate than anywhere else. A lot of the military related people will go to these exchange houses and change thousands of dollars at a time. I know when I had to change my rent money I would walk around Itaewon and check a couple of them and pick the one with the best rate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to agree that the banks give the WORST exchange rates so far that I have been here. Ironically, the exchange counter at the airport was the best that I have seen. Maybe Itaewon is better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the advice. It's more of less what I thought, but I wanted someone who has actually done it to give some advice... anything more specific would be helpful... this is a good thread...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's really good information! :)

    ReplyDelete