Saturday, October 24, 2009

Tim McManus: One Man Show


Last weekend one of the guys that comes to the free Korean class on Saturday invited us to his show this Thursday. He described it as a combination of Celtic/Punk/Gypsy/ etc. so of course I wanted to go. I didn't know much more about it, but hey, it's not like I have anything exciting going on on Thursday nights. Something new is always welcome. We found the venue, Earthizen Cafe with no problem, thanks to the boyfriend's GPS in his car. It would have been a bit of a walk from Chungmuro station.

When we arrived I quickly realized that there was no band. This was a one man show and I had a sinking feeling that this was going to be one dull night, but as he started the first song named "Pissin' On My Grave" I thought that maybe it wouldn't be so bad after all. Most of the songs he performed were his own original compositions, most of which were quite entertaining to say the least. Then he also got to some great covers and more traditional music as well.


He performed on various instruments, mainly on the accordion, but he also switched between guitar, toy piano and a xaphoon. He invited some friends up to stage to perform for a few numbers. A guitar/ harmonica player, a British belly dancer, and a violin player.


Overall the evening was quite entertaining. Tim performs all around between Seoul and Incheon, so if you see the name around, I defiantly recommend checking him out. He performs solo and with groups too. I found his myspace, so feel free to check him out.

Here are some video clips I took during the show. There are more on my YouTube account, you can search for me as smileyjkl.





No comments:

Post a Comment